Water resistance?

Turn Backyard Red

I was wondering if anyone off hand could tell me how water resistant a few things are? I'm asking in here because of the mount, it's the most expensive part on the list.

Automatic Sprinklers were turned on without my knowledge.

Nikon D7000
ASIair pro
EXOS2-GT w/PMC-8
Celestron C6-A-XLT
Asi120mm mini
--
Mount: ES PMC-8 EXOS2
Telescope: Celestron C6-A XLT

Steve Siedentop

Make sure it’s dry inside and out before you power it up and you should be fine.  If you have an area where you can set up a dehumidifier, that would be ideal.  The electronics are more of a concern than the mechanicals, but the electronics are quite robust.

-Steve

On Sat, Dec 26, 2020 at 8:06 AM Turn Backyard Red <turnbackyardred@...> wrote:
I was wondering if anyone off hand could tell me how water resistant a few things are? I'm asking in here because of the mount, it's the most expensive part on the list.

Automatic Sprinklers were turned on without my knowledge.

Nikon D7000
ASIair pro
EXOS2-GT w/PMC-8
Celestron C6-A-XLT
Asi120mm mini
--
Mount: ES PMC-8 EXOS2
Telescope: Celestron C6-A XLT
Main Camera: Canon SL2(200D) unmodified

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 G11 with Ruland Couplers and One Piece Worm Blocks, Skywatcher NEQ-6
Scopes: ES ED127CF FCD100, Orion 6” Mak, Stellarvue SV80EDT, Coronado Solarmax 40

Wes Mcdonald

That would be 170F!
Wes.

Turn Red

If your PMC8 box got wet inside, I would recommend you do the following:

Best Efforts:

1.  Open your pmc8 box.
2.  Go and get yourself some pure isopropyl alcohol from a pharmacy, make sure it is 75-80% with only distilled water in it.  I wish I could recommend a brand,
3.  Rinse out the box with the isopropyl
4.  LEave the box open and put it in a warming drawer for 2 hours.  Of an oven at 170 degrees.
5.  Remove it and let it cool, then go ahead and use it.

OK Effort:

1.  As the board  is conformally coated, the thing is probably ok with just a bake out at 170 for a few hours.

If you have an iexos, I would open the case and inspect for water in the PC board housing.  The case is on top of the mount, evident where the connectors are.  If water invaded the case then you probably will want to remove the board and bake it out.  Of you can use a hair dryer on it for 30 minutes or so to heat it all up and evaporate any water that might be under any of the ICs.  It is devilishly hard to remove without a bakeout.  I would do the oven bake out if were mine.  Remove the PC card and pt it in the oven.

If you do remove the PC cards or touch them make sure you have static control.  You can do this by grabbing something metal and grounded in your house.  In the old days the water pipes were, but if you have a new house they are probably plastic.  So you can use the chassis of an appliance, say a toaster.  Generally these are grounds in the electrical system of the house.  Handle the board by the edges, try not to touch any connector pins or any other thing that is on the PC card.

As for the mechanics, I would open them up as best as I can and dry them out with paper towels and a hair dryer.

Hope your OTA didn't get a bath.

Wes.

Turn Backyard Red

After letting them dry out a while, everything is looking good except the OTA, it has water sitting in it.