What is this and how do I use it? #EXOS2

Sam Chunglee

Stupid question- what is this called and how do i use it? Am i supposed to just be able to press it on to the screw from the side? is it supposed to screw  on from the top? I know it's supposed to hold the shaft that the mount head screws on to but I just cannot figure it out.

Nikul Suthar

It is called E-Clip retaining ring... It prohibits parts move amongst themselves... It has dedicated plyers to remove but can be carefully removed by yanking using a flat-head screw driver of appropriate size... This tiny video shows it how to remove it using a flat head screwdriver... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC4H3bDnmzg

Thanks,
Nikul

ગુરુ, 19 મે, 2022 ના રોજ 10:16 PM વાગ્યે ના રોજ Sam Chunglee <samchunglee@...> એ લખ્યું:

Stupid question- what is this called and how do i use it? Am i supposed to just be able to press it on to the screw from the side? is it supposed to screw  on from the top? I know it's supposed to hold the shaft that the mount head screws on to but I just cannot figure it out.

Sam Chunglee

thanks! but how do i put it on?

Jennifer Shelly

Edited

It appears you have an EXOS-2 mount.  This is a c-clip and it is used to hold the threaded bar in the center column of the tripod that is used to tighten the mount to the tripod.  There should be a flat space on the threaded bar that does not have threads.  This is where you push the c-clip on.  If done right it will allow the threaded bar to hang without the mount head attached.
--
Sincerely,

Jennifer Shelly
AstroPorch, VA

Mounts: ES PMC-8 G-11, PMC-8 EXOS-2, PMC-8 iEXOS-100, Meade LX850
Scopes: ES ED127 FCD-100 f/7.5, N208CF f/3.9 / Askar FRA400 f/5.6, FRA600 f/5.6 / Meade LX850 10” ACF f/8 / QHY Mini Guide Scope f/4.3 / Solomark F60 Guide Scope f/3.6
Cameras: QHY600M, 128C, 168C, 183M, 5III174C
Misc: MoonLite CFL 2.5, High Res Stepper, V2 Mini Controller / Baader SteelTrack NT, SteelTrack SC, SteelDrive II, UFC, 2” LRGBSHO CCD / Optolong 2" L-Pro, L-eNhance, L-Extreme, 1.25” LRGBSHO CCD / QHY CFW3-L, CFW3-S, OAG-M / Primaluce Lab Sesto Senso 2
Imaging Software:  NINA, APT, SharpCap Pro
Processing Software: PixInsight / Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Premiere Elements

Wes Mcdonald

I leave mine off. I like to remove the entire assembly when I knock down the tripod.  Always viewed those things as a major PITA.

Wes

On Fri, May 20, 2022 at 9:17 AM Jennifer Shelly via groups.io <drunkendogg=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

[...]

EXos2-GT PMC-8, iExos 100, ESG11
ES ED 127+MoonLite Focuser, 10" LX200GPS+ MoonLite focuser+wedge, Astro-Tech 8" Newt, ETX-90, 60mm no-name guide scope ~ 260mm FL
Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG, ZWO 290MM, D5300 astro modified, ASI071 cooled OSC, ASI MM290 guide camera

Sam,

Now that you know what it's for, the next question is whether you want to use it or not...  :-)

The benefit of the clip is that if you remove your mount head, the chromed bar and spreader will stay put on the tripod. This really is convenient, for a mount that is generally left up, and has a low portability requirement.  Stood in a corner or closet, carted out to the back yard, etc.

The downside of that clip, is that the chromed bar and spreader will stay put, and get in the way of folding the tripod legs compactly.  If you have a high portability requirement (ie: frequently tossed in the car, or packed in a case for transport), then it is less convenient.

If you decide to leave the clip off because you do pack it up and cart it around, put some tape or whatever on the chromed spacer that sits on the shoulder of the chrome bar, just under the tripod head.  (I'm assuming here that ES hasn't changed the shoulder so it's no longer needed.)  Leave that spacer off, and the mount head can wobble on the tripod, no matter how tight you screw the bar in.

FWIW...

- Bob

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2, Serial
Scopes: SW 130P-DS, SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide

Sam Chunglee

Thanks Jennifer Shelly! This was exactly what I was looking for.

Also, thanks everyone for sharing their thoughts and experiences with using/not using said clip. I do need it to be a portable setup but I do like that it keeps the bar in place . Will just have to try it both ways until I lose the tiny clip, lol