Topics

Window size adjustment

membtkd@...

Edited

Hi. I had installed ExploreStars on an Asus convertible tablet with keyboard. The issue is that the app launches in a maximized state, with no window frame / borders to resize the window border and access the Windows Search function. So I am unable to search any NGC , etc objects. Any input would be appreciated.  Apologies, forget to mention its a Windows 8.1 system.

Wes Mcdonald

Explorestars runs in various modes including full screen on my Windows 10 tablet.  A Windows menu bar comes down from the top.  Pull down and select Search.  In tablet mode this means touching at the top.  With the mouse move it to the top of the screen.  Also when you pull down you get the option to make it not be full screen.  On my machine the option bar is gray and the search window that pops up is blue.  Overall this is not a good thing.

If you want to have a better experience get yourself an Android Tablet like the Samsung Tab 7.  It is cheap ($70), runs great, and fits in your back pocket.  The user interface is a bit different than the windows version and in my view better.  Also, the app is overall night vision friendly.  The only thing you have to add is something to make the keyboard during search be red.  Load GBoard from Google play and set it as your keyboard.  Then select a red theme in GBoard app.  Final touch is to choose a wallpaper such as a closeup of Mars.  And finally for really night vision safe, load up Twilight and set it for RED.  I use color temp of 1000, intensity of 86% and screen dim set to 29%.  You can change the times you want it to run, but I found it needs to be accessed to kick it in, even if you have "always" set.

Hope this helps.

Wes.

WIndows 8 is a very restricted version and only can run Metro applications which the ExploreStars application is. One of the quirks to get to the preferences and search tools on Windows 8 is that with the application on the screen, you have to swipe the screen from the right hand side to bring up the extra menus. All Metro applications require this on Windows 8

Ain't we lucky?  Everyday when I use Windows I say thank you Bill Gates for making such a wonderful product!  NOT!

Wes

On Mon, Oct 1, 2018, 1:16 PM Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific <jrh@...> wrote:

WIndows 8 is a very restricted version and only can run Metro applications which the ExploreStars application is. One of the quirks to get to the preferences and search tools on Windows 8 is that with the application on the screen, you have to swipe the screen from the right hand side to bring up the extra menus. All Metro applications require this on Windows 8

chrisjbourque@...

Edited

@Wes These are excellent suggestions to tweak the screen settings! One of my main frustrations using the ExploreStars app (on my Samsung tablet), was having the Android Navigation bar never disappear at the bottom of the screen. This is an excellent work around. Also helps when images of planets come up on the app and they are bright and not red themed.