Topics

Wired connection to PMC8

alandebrut

Hello,

I looked through the threads and couldn't find the answer to this question, nor in the PMC8 manual
What is the best way to wire the PMC8 to a laptop, EQMOD cable or serial? My dealer didn't know!
I want to use EQmod and PHD2 going forward, with Sharpcap and possibly APT

I feel more comfortable using wired than wifi.

Also, from what I can understand the PMC8 uses plus guiding, but I am sure I read somewhere this is not recommended anymore?

Many thanks
Alan

Lloyd Simons

Alan,

Which mount do you have? If you have an iExos 100 its a simple mini-usb cable. The Exos2 requires a serial to usb (FTDI I believe). EQMOD is for Skywatcher mounts. It is not needed for your PMC8. You need to use ASCOM POTH to connect your mount to your software (PHD2, SharpCap etc). I wouldn't bother with using any ST-4 ports. 
--
Lloyd Simons
Mattawan, MI
Telescopes: Astrotech AT72ED II, Orion 8" Dobsonian, Tectron 15" Dobsonian, Celestron Super Polaris C8
Imaging Camera: Canon T3i
Guide Camera: QHY5L-IIM on a 60mm F4 Guidescope
Mounts: iExos-100 PMC-8, Vixen Super Polaris
Mount Control: KODLIX gn41 mini PC, Explorestars on a Lenovo Tab 2 A10-70F Android 6.0
Software: N.I.N.A. for imaging, PHD2 for guiding, Sharpcap for PA, Cartes du Ciel, PixInsight

Shailendra Sharma <sshailendrasharma@...>

Hey,

These vids show how it comes together.

Nina sequence - https://youtu.be/prv1FQoBs90

Cheers
Chox

From: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io <MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io> on behalf of Lloyd Simons <simonsl23@...>
Sent: Wednesday, September 2, 2020 12:02:57 PM
To: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io <MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ESPMC-Eight] Wired connection to PMC8

Alan,

Which mount do you have? If you have an iExos 100 its a simple mini-usb cable. The Exos2 requires a serial to usb (FTDI I believe). EQMOD is for Skywatcher mounts. It is not needed for your PMC8. You need to use ASCOM POTH to connect your mount to your software (PHD2, SharpCap etc). I wouldn't bother with using any ST-4 ports. 
--
Lloyd Simons
Mattawan, MI
Telescopes: Astrotech AT72ED II, Orion 8" Dobsonian, Tectron 15" Dobsonian, Celestron Super Polaris C8
Imaging Camera: Canon T3i
Guide Camera: QHY5L-IIM on a 60mm F4 Guidescope
Mounts: iExos-100 PMC-8, Vixen Super Polaris
Mount Control: KODLIX gn41 mini PC, Explorestars on a Lenovo Tab 2 A10-70F Android 6.0
Software: N.I.N.A. for imaging, PHD2 for guiding, Sharpcap for PA, Cartes du Ciel, PixInsight

alandebrut

Many thanks

I have ordered the cable
Clear skies :)
--
Explore Scientific:
Telscope AR102, F6.5
Exos 2, PMC8 (awaiting delivery)

Celestron
SE8 plus mount
Starsense

Canon 80D

Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering

On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 06:57 AM, alandebrut wrote:
Hello,

I looked through the threads and couldn't find the answer to this question, nor in the PMC8 manual
What is the best way to wire the PMC8 to a laptop, EQMOD cable or serial? My dealer didn't know!
I want to use EQmod and PHD2 going forward, with Sharpcap and possibly APT

I feel more comfortable using wired than wifi.

Also, from what I can understand the PMC8 uses plus guiding, but I am sure I read somewhere this is not recommended anymore?

Many thanks
Alan
To expound on what was said previously, EQMOD is the ASCOM driver for SYNTA mounts, typically the Orion Atlas, SkyWatcher EQ6 and similar mounts in the same family. The PMC-Eight has it's own ASCOM driver available on our website under the PMC-Eight Software and Downloads page. The iEXOS 100 mount has the USB to Serial FTDI chip internal on the circuit board assembly so all that is required is a basic USB Type A to mini-USB cable. The EXOS 2 and G11 PMC-Eight mounts serial interface connector is the standard DB9 so it requires a USB to Serial DB9 adapter cable using the FTDI chipset which is the most reliable chipset available. 

You will need to use the PMC-Eight Configuration Manager to switch the system from the factory default WiFi communications mode to Serial communications mode prior to using your system wired with your cable. Even though the PMC-Eight has the legacy ST4 port available for autoguiding with your camera and PHD2, I always suggest that it is better to use the ASCOM PulseGuide function which is more reliable as it eliminates the ST4 cable in your setup, plus it provides some other benefits that PHD2 takes advantage of. The ST4 port is not really recommended anymore, not PulseGuide which is the preferred method.

--
Jerry Hubbell
Vice President of Engineering

Explore Scientific, LLC.
jrh at explorescientific.com

www.explorescientificusa.com
1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data
             Remote Observatories for Amateur Astronomers: Using High-Powered Telescopes From Home

Mark Slade Remote Observatory (MSRO) IAU MPC W54 Equipment
Wilderness, VA
Mounts
: ES PMC-Eight G11 + Telescope Drive Master (TDM)
Scopes: ES 165 FPL-53 ED APO CF, ES 102 FCD100 ED APO CF
Cameras:  QHY174M-GPS + FW, QHY163C
Misc: 3-inch 0.7x Focal Reducer Field Flattener, Filters: Luminance,
Red, V-band Photometric, Diffuser, 200 lpmm Spectral Grating

Software: MaxIm DL 6, Cartes du Ciel, Astrometrica, AstroImageJ, AutoStakkert!