Topics

Wired connection to PMC8

alandebrut

Hello,

I looked through the threads and couldn't find the answer to this question, nor in the PMC8 manual
What is the best way to wire the PMC8 to a laptop, EQMOD cable or serial? My dealer didn't know!
I want to use EQmod and PHD2 going forward, with Sharpcap and possibly APT

I feel more comfortable using wired than wifi.

Also, from what I can understand the PMC8 uses plus guiding, but I am sure I read somewhere this is not recommended anymore?

Many thanks
Alan

Lloyd Simons

Alan,

Which mount do you have? If you have an iExos 100 its a simple mini-usb cable. The Exos2 requires a serial to usb (FTDI I believe). EQMOD is for Skywatcher mounts. It is not needed for your PMC8. You need to use ASCOM POTH to connect your mount to your software (PHD2, SharpCap etc). I wouldn't bother with using any ST-4 ports.
--
Lloyd Simons
Mattawan, MI

Shailendra Sharma <sshailendrasharma@...>

Hey,

These vids show how it comes together.

Nina sequence - https://youtu.be/prv1FQoBs90

Cheers
Chox

[...]

I have ordered the cable
Clear skies :)
--
Explore Scientific:
Telscope AR102, F6.5

Celestron
SE8 plus mount
Starsense

Canon 80D

On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 06:57 AM, alandebrut wrote:
Hello,

I looked through the threads and couldn't find the answer to this question, nor in the PMC8 manual
What is the best way to wire the PMC8 to a laptop, EQMOD cable or serial? My dealer didn't know!
I want to use EQmod and PHD2 going forward, with Sharpcap and possibly APT

I feel more comfortable using wired than wifi.

Also, from what I can understand the PMC8 uses plus guiding, but I am sure I read somewhere this is not recommended anymore?

Many thanks
Alan
To expound on what was said previously, EQMOD is the ASCOM driver for SYNTA mounts, typically the Orion Atlas, SkyWatcher EQ6 and similar mounts in the same family. The PMC-Eight has it's own ASCOM driver available on our website under the PMC-Eight Software and Downloads page. The iEXOS 100 mount has the USB to Serial FTDI chip internal on the circuit board assembly so all that is required is a basic USB Type A to mini-USB cable. The EXOS 2 and G11 PMC-Eight mounts serial interface connector is the standard DB9 so it requires a USB to Serial DB9 adapter cable using the FTDI chipset which is the most reliable chipset available.

You will need to use the PMC-Eight Configuration Manager to switch the system from the factory default WiFi communications mode to Serial communications mode prior to using your system wired with your cable. Even though the PMC-Eight has the legacy ST4 port available for autoguiding with your camera and PHD2, I always suggest that it is better to use the ASCOM PulseGuide function which is more reliable as it eliminates the ST4 cable in your setup, plus it provides some other benefits that PHD2 takes advantage of. The ST4 port is not really recommended anymore, not PulseGuide which is the preferred method.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data