Topics

Wireless connection to Stellarium to the PMC8 #EXOS2 #ASCOM

alandebrut

hi,

Sorry to be a bother but I have searched for advice on how if at all possible I can connect my PC wirelessly and use Stellarium in this way?
I believe it can but cannot find the answer.

I have installed the latest Ascom platform and the Ascom PMC8 driver and run diagnostics so I am now on to the next part, any ideas please would be most welcome?

Thanks
--
Explore Scientific:
Telscope AR102, F6.5

Celestron
SE8 plus mount
Starsense

Canon 80D

kevin power

I had to install stellarium scope to get it to work.

Sorry to be a bother but I have searched for advice on how if at all possible I can connect my PC wirelessly and use Stellarium in this way?
I believe it can but cannot find the answer.

I have installed the latest Ascom platform and the Ascom PMC8 driver and run diagnostics so I am now on to the next part, any ideas please would be most welcome?

Thanks
--
Explore Scientific:
Telscope AR102, F6.5
Exos 2, PMC8 (awaiting delivery)

Celestron
SE8 plus mount
Starsense

Canon 80D

Symon@...

Hi, can recommend you look up the raspberry PI route. I have a Raspberry PI running astroberry. It is the size of large matchbox and controls the PMC8, cameras etc. Stellarium etc then connect easily over wireless. You then only then need power going out to mount.

alandebrut

On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 05:31 AM, <Symon@...> wrote:
raspberry PI
Hi, I saw a guy on Youtube try to use Astroberry and he couldn't get it to work, also I have looked at the instruction manual and it says not for beginners,
I am not computer savvy enough and it will be just yet another obstruction and variable to Astrophotography.

i guess I will just have to use serial instead of wireless and maybe suffer the many dramas others have suffered when changing from wireless to serial and back again.

Thanks

--
Explore Scientific:
Telscope AR102, F6.5
Exos 2, PMC8 (awaiting delivery)

Celestron
SE8 plus mount
Starsense

Canon 80D

Symon@...

I've had no problems. Just installed it and use it. It does require a bit of computer techy stuff however. When it's set up though you just take the mount out, plug it in, the Pi is vecroed to the mount - and off you go.

Not had any problems. Kstars, Stellarium, CDC, APT etc all connect through a protocol called indi which seems more robust than Ascom. The only odd thing with Stellarium is you can't unpark the mount and have to do with another piece of software - this is also the same with Ascom though.

Doug Doonan

Hi Alan,
Using the configuration manager is absolutely no sweat to go back and forth between serial and wifi.  I use it all the time.
Doug Doonan

Hi, I saw a guy on Youtube try to use Astroberry and he couldn't get it to work, also I have looked at the instruction manual and it says not for beginners,
I am not computer savvy enough and it will be just yet another obstruction and variable to Astrophotography.

i guess I will just have to use serial instead of wireless and maybe suffer the many dramas others have suffered when changing from wireless to serial and back again.

Thanks

--
Explore Scientific:
Telscope AR102, F6.5
Exos 2, PMC8 (awaiting delivery)

Celestron
SE8 plus mount
Starsense

Canon 80D

--

Doug Doonan
HomeBru  6 inch Reflector  f 6.6
HomeBru  85 mm Refractor  f 5.6
PMC-8, EXOS 2
Long retired EE.

On Wed, Sep 23, 2020 at 07:53 AM, alandebrut wrote:
Sorry to be a bother but I have searched for advice on how if at all possible I can connect my PC wirelessly and use Stellarium in this way?
I believe it can but cannot find the answer.
Hi Alan,

The correct answer is that you use the ASCOM driver and select "Enable WiFi TCP/IP" as shown below. The default IP address and port should work fine. No need to change the communications channel.
The latest version of Stellarium has the ASCOM Chooser in it already.   I would suggest you use the ASCOM Platform POTH program to connect to the PMC-Eight first and then connect Stellarium to the POTH.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

alandebrut

Thanks Jerry,

I did as suggested but could not get Stellarium to work however CDC worked straightaway, go figure. I'll probably drop Stellarium a note and see what they say as well.
Alan

Many thanks to ALL for getting involved and helping with this solution
--
Explore Scientific:
Telscope AR102, F6.5
Exos 2, PMC8 (awaiting delivery)

Celestron
SE8 plus mount
Starsense

Canon 80D

TeeJayBee

Got to be a dumb question but how do I bring up that Wifi configuration box as above?

I have installed the ES_PMC8 setup.exe on my Windows 10 laptop but cannot find how to configure to WiFi tcp/ip as above?

Thanks
Terry

Wes Mcdonald

Terry

Download the configuration manager from the Es website.  Install that and give it a go.