DHCP/Static IP issue with PMC8 #solution

Wes Mcdonald

Folks:

I am not sure how many people need this but I have posted a .BAT file in the files section of the Mounts subgroup.  The file can be run to switch your PC between Static IP and DHCP.  This may be needed for some versions of windows where the machine is not able to connect to the PMC8 WiFi module when the PC is using DHCP for the network adapter.  Previously I posted a message on how to do this manually, but this .BAT file takes all the pain out.

Move the file to a place you can find easily, such as on your desktop, or at least put a shortcut there.  Double click it to run it.  The first time you do the Windows Defender might tell you not to...if this happens press the "more info" button and you will have an option to run it anyway.  

The program will prompt you to enter the mode you want.

You will get a windows popup that tell you to run it you must be in admin mode, but it will put you there if you tell it to proceed.

This file hardcodes the static IP to the default value of the PMC8, so if you have altered your PMC8 IP you might have to edit the file so that the IP loaded will match your PMC8 IP.  If you managed to change the PMC8 IP you will find the editing of the .BAT file to be easy.  Open it in a text editor.

Once you put your PC into static mode you will be able to connect to the PMC8 and it only ... you will have no internet access when you try to connect to your home wifi router.  So run the file again when you are done with the PMC8 and put your PC back into DHCP.  This will enable it to be used on the internet again.

I have run this about 1000 times with no discernable harm.  Hope you do too.

Wes.

--
Wes, Southport NC
EXos2-GT PMC-8, iExos 100
ES ED 127, 10" LX200GPS+wedge, Astro-Tech 8" Newt, ETX-90, 60mm no-name guide scope ~ 260mm FL
Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG, ZWO 290MM, D5300 astro modified
Nina, Bootcamped Mac Mini control computer, RDP to iMAC
110 amp hour lead acid deep discharge battery for field power
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Paul Meesters

To make this work, one might need to change the name of the WiFi adapter in the .bat file sourcecode.
It's now set to "Wi-Fi", but in my computer it's named differently: "WiFi 2"

Paul.

Doug Walker <espmc8@...>

Just to chime in on a related topic

netsh wlan show interfaces

gives some good information about the currently connected wireless network. Might be usable in the script.

Doug

On 10/18/2020 1:17 PM, Paul Meesters wrote:
To make this work, one might need to change the name of the WiFi adapter in the .bat file sourcecode.
It's now set to "Wi-Fi", but in my computer it's named differently: "WiFi 2"
Paul.
--
Explore Scientific iEXOS-100
Canon T1i (no mod)
Canon 18-55mm zoom lens
Canon 75-300mm zoom lens
Astromania 60mm guidescope
ZWO ASI 120MC-S
Lenovo m93 / Win10Pro
NINA, DSS, SiriL, GIMP, Phd2

Paul Meesters

The batch file doesn't seem to work for me.
Changing the IP address through the ethernet adapter's setting does work for me, although it's a few clicks more  to accomplish.